Some Restrictions Lifted Amid Decreasing New Cases in Hillsdale County
HILLSDALE, Mich.—Due to decreasing rates of new COVID-19 cases in the county, Hillsdale Hospital is again opening up limited visitation for patients, effective immediately.
“We are encouraged by the decreasing number of new cases in the county and feel confident that visitors can return to the hospital without posing significant risks to patients or staff,” Rachel Lott, director of marketing and development, said. “We are still limiting the number of visitors and in what areas they will be permitted, but we recognize how important it is for patients to have their loved ones involved and present in their care, so we are opening up visitation where we can. We are still unable to allow visitors for our skilled nursing facility units, McGuire and MacRitchie, due to federal requirements, so we are continuing to offer virtual visits for our patients and residents.”
Throughout the pandemic, the hospital has taken measures to keep staff, patients and visitors safe, like increased cleaning, screening, mask usage, hand washing and social distancing. Restrictions on visitation have been regularly evaluated and adjusted based on current numbers and trends regarding new cases, community spread, severity of illness, etc.
Visitors permitted only as designated below, as necessary for the patient to receive care (i.e. communication, mobility, caregiver, etc.) or in end-of-life circumstances. All patients aged 21 and under may be accompanied by one parent or guardian. (Please note: Patients in isolation are not permitted visitors, regardless of condition (COVID-19, influenza, etc.). Limited exceptions may apply.)
Unit- or clinic-specific permissions are as follows:
- Emergency Room: One adult visitor per patient for the duration of that patient’s ER stay. Visitor must stay in the patient’s room unless asked to move to the waiting room due to patient condition.
- McGuire & MacRitchie (Skilled Nursing Facility): No visitors permitted.
- Medical/Surgical/Critical Care Unit: One visitor permitted per 24-hour period. Visiting hours are 8 am-8 pm. COVID-19 positive patients are not permitted visitors for the duration of their stay.
- Behavioral Health Unit: One designated visitor per patient for the duration of patient’s stay. Permitted only from 6-7:30 pm Monday through Friday or 3-5 pm Saturday, Sunday and on holidays.
- Birthing Center (OB): One significant other/adult support person is permitted for the duration of the laboring mother’s stay (labor, delivery, and post-partum). One visitor per patient per 24-hour period for all others (post-surgical, etc.). Except for laboring mothers, visiting hours are 8 am-8 pm.
- Surgery : One visitor per patient for the duration of that patient’s stay. Surgery patients requiring an inpatient stay may receive visitors according the Medical/Surgical Unit visitation rules.
- OB/GYN Clinic & All OB Ultrasounds: One adult visitor per patient for obstetrics appointments at the OB/GYN clinic and obstetrics ultrasounds at the hospital.
- All Other Outpatient Services & Clinics: No visitors permitted.
- Bills & Medical Records: On-site bill pay and medical record access permitted.
The hospital and all of its locations and clinics will continue to screen all patients and permitted visitors. Masks are still required for all individuals, except patients who are medically unable to wear them. Hillsdale Hospital has not and will not deny medical care of any kind to patients who do not wear a mask. Visitors who do not wear a mask, however, are not permitted entry. The Hillsdale Hospital Gift Shop and cafeteria will remain closed to the general public.
These restrictions will be reassessed daily and changes will be communicated to the media and to the public via official Hillsdale Hospital channels as soon as possible. For complete details, visit www.hillsdalehospital.com/coronavirus.