By Andy Barrand, HDN
HILLSDALE – With a quick snip of the ceremonial ribbon Sunday afternoon, March 3, 2013, nearly 10 years of planning, dreaming and construction became a reality with the opening of the John “Jack” MacRitchie north Win addition at Hillsdale Community Health Center.
On hand for the ribbon cutting was the entire MacRitchie family including his two sons, William and John MacRitchie.
MacRitchie served as the hospitals administrator from 1940 through his death in 1952.
Along with the MacRitchie family close to 500 county residents, staff and dignitaries were on hand for the opening. State Senator Bruce Caswell and State Representative Ken Kurtz were among the dignitaries.
The new 40,000 square feet addition sits on the north end of the building, which was originally built in 1939. The first floor of the addition will feature 19 beds for the hospital’s Skilled Nursing Unit and the bottom floor will be dedicated to the hospital’s Obstetrics Department.
The hospital will begin use of the addition after final inspections are completed and it will receive its occupancy permit in the next couple of weeks.
One the addition is open, work will begin on the renovation of the “Mac” McGuire Skilled Nursing Facility on the hospital’s second floor. The renovation will make all of the room on the second floor private rooms for skilled care.