Full-Time | 40 Hours/Week | 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. | Laboratory
Assists Laboratory Technologists/Technicians with screening / triage calls and providing accurate and timely lab results to physicians and patients. Responsible for preparing and processing samples for testing including receiving, verifying, packaging, and sending out laboratory testing.
- High school diploma or equivalent AND completion of at least one year (two semesters) of college science courses or one year of experience in a clinical laboratory (preferred)
- Recent completion of a course in Medical Terminology or completion within 60 days following employment
- Must be committed to Service Excellence and embrace Vision, Mission, values and culture of Hillsdale Hospital, and must be flexible, dependable, responsible and a team player with favorable attendance record
- Receives and triages all incoming laboratory telephone communication
- Properly prepare specimens for testing by centrifuging, aliquoting, & labelling adhering to published procedures & guidelines.
- Receive & sort specimens, including blood, bodily fluid, & tissue
- Evaluate specimens for correct identification & suitability for testing
- Follow established best practices to ensure that patients, orders, & specimens are always identified & labelled correctly
- Prioritize work based on patient type & sample priority
- Prepare specimens for transport & storage and deliver appropriate specimens to designated laboratory for testing.
- Use a computer to verify sample collection information and to enter and retrieve patient test data
- Track specimens & work pending lists to identify incomplete tests & problems
- Resolve problems by taking appropriate actions as dictated by the circumstances
- Communicate effectively, in-person, via the telephone, & via email
- Maintain inventory, replenish stock & supplies